Friday, June 19, 2009

Out-of-Date Information

I have been helping mortgage lenders and brokers get their licenses for over 10 years. I’ve been blogging about licensing and compliance for about 2 years. Much of the information that I needed to know when I first starting working with mortgage companies is useless. Even some of the information that I published in my blog back in 2007 is now wrong.

The laws in the mortgage licensing area keep changing to keep up with events that are happening in our country to the financial industry. When I first started working in this area of law, there were a handful of states that did not require licensing at all. I’ve watched as all of the states passed laws to require the licensing of mortgage companies and then loan originators. Although there are some states now that do not require the licensing of loan originators, that will be a memory in about a year, when the federal SAFE Act becomes fully implemented.

If you are going to try to get yourself licensed without any help, you need to know that the information that you are relying upon is the most up-to-date out there. As I become aware of new legislation, new regulations and new compliance requirements, I write a blog entry about the changes so you can stay current. There are companies that you can subscribe to that will send updates to you when there are changes to the law in any state that yo uare interested in. Unfortunately, most of my clients don’t have time to read those updates or don’t understand them. Another way to get information is to read what is on the website of the regulatory agency that is in charge of mortgage lender, broker or loan originator licensing. The agencies go by different names in different states – they may be the Banking Department or the Department of Financial Institutions or the Commissioner of Banks. In California, it is the Department of Corporations (who would have guessed?). And sometimes, even after reading what’s on the website, I still call the agency and ask to speak to the reviewers in the licensing department. They can’t give legal advice (not that I’m asking for any advice) but they can tell me if the information on their website is current and answer questions about what is on their website or about an announcement about a change in their laws that I’ve received in the mail. You should do the same.

Always make sure that the information that you are working with is as up-to-date as it can be. If you are following a law that has been changed, you are not following the correct law and you could be subject to penalties and fines.

No comments: