Monday, February 25, 2008

Working with the Nationwide Mortgage Liensing System

I represent a number of clients on an ongoing basis, keeping them in compliance with the states in which they are licensed. Because the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) has been up since January 2, 2008, I’ve been on the system quite a bit.

My experience is that it is somewhat time-consuming to work with the NMLS. I actually have that same opinion about all computer-based systems (i.e. annual reports and renewals that must be done online). If the entry isn’t done in the exact format that they require, the computer kicks it back. If I don’t have the answer to a question for a client, I need to go back to the client and get the answer; otherwise the system will not let me get further through the questions. This is true even with questions that seem to be irrelevant as to whether a mortgage originator or owner is honest and experienced in the industry. Questions about 10 years of residential history, providing month and year for each residence, do not make sense to me. Ten years of employment history, even if it is not mortgage related, seems excessive. When you have a paper-based system, the reviewer seems to have the leeway to allow a small piece of information to be omitted. And the format of the response does not stop you from moving from question to question.

I have not yet had the pleasure of adding a new state to be licensed for a client already in the system. I hope that it will just require a few minutes of input for the new state (each state still has its own requirements for what it requires for licensure) and the application will be submitted. I still need to know each state’s requirements, but the added work of re-typing each state’s application form will eventually disappear. That will make the NMLS a pleasure.

No comments: